Acquisitions Common Interest Group (ACIG)
Purpose And Charge
The Acquisitions Common Interest Group (ACIG) will advise and assist the Heads of Technical Services (HOTS) wherever necessary to ensure the most effective outcomes regarding planning and processing in UC Libraries Acquisitions Departments. ACIG will advise HOTS on the need for system-wide discussion and communication on particular issues. ACIG, will also, having received appropriate input, make recommendations to HOTS on the development of acquisitions policies and practices which assist in ensuring effective and timely purchasing of needed materials. Where appropriate, ACIG may serve as a resource on acquisitions issues for other system-wide groups.
- Share information on fundamental acquisitions issues such as policies, practices, staffing, vendor performance, etc.
- Collaborate on developing and/or implementing new strategies for managing the technical services aspects of cooperative or shared collection initiatives.
- Inform and advise HOTS of issues of importance to Acquisitions Depts.
- Assist HOTS in researching, recommending, planning and implementing new acquisitions tools or technologies which could be of benefit either centrally or locally.
- Assist HOTS as necessary in meeting goals and timelines assigned by SOPAG and the U.L.s.
- Identify and consider all UC campuses' interests and preferences by communicating on issues and soliciting input as appropriate.
- Identify training needs and propose beneficial workshops, etc.
- Serve as a resource on acquisitions issues for other U.C. groups, particularly the Collection Development Committee.
- Prepare a statement of goals and objectives each year and submit an annual report to HOTS addressing progress towards meeting these.
- Formulate a workable structure for the ACIG group and get it off to a productive start
- Develop a common set of UC acquisition standards and best practices
- Become a strong advocate to HOTS and other UC policy setting groups for a system-wide infrastructure that supports resource-effective acquisition practices
Communication And Reporting
The ACIG reports to HOTS who may refer broad-based issues to SOPAG and/or to other all campus groups as appropriate. Where appropriate, the Group will be responsible for communicating with and soliciting input from acquisitions staff system-wide. Issues, decisions and recommendations will be documented and made available to HOTS as and when appropriate. Also a report summarizing ACIG's activities and progress in meeting their goals and objectives will be submitted to HOTS annually. ACIG shall usually meet virtually (e.g. by listserv, by web or telephone conference) as deemed necessary and may meet once a year in person.
Recommendation/ Decision Process
Decisions on broad policy issues or major product implementations shall be referred to HOTS. Issues that are determined to be outside the scope of the ACIG and HOTS will be referred by HOTS to the appropriate group(s) for discussion and resolution.
Membership And Terms Of Appointment:
The ACIG will have one representative from each campus. The individual in charge of the primary acquisitions process on each campus is anticipated to be a member unless they request to be represented by another member of acquisitions. The ACIG will include a representative from the California Digital Library (CDL) and a liaison member from HOTS. HOTS shall submit the slate of names to SOPAG for review and approval. The Chair is selected by the membership and will normally serve for 2 years.